Sunday, March 7, 2010

What Matters Most



It occurred to me earlier this week, with the impending deployment of my brother to Iraq looming before our family, that in a few months both of my brothers will probably be on the other side of the world. Dean left early Friday morning, and Thomas is likely to leave at the end of May with the Peace Corp for Armenia. Dean’s tour will last a year, and Thomas’ commitment would be for a little over two. I suppose for some this may not seem like much; between missions and marriages and any number of events, some families may go years without being “complete”. But the realization was significant to me, and gave me a moment’s pause as I reflected on the oft quoted phrase “what matters most is what lasts the longest.” I find this to be increasingly true the older I get: covenants, gospel truths, education, and relationships, especially familial, are what matter most, because they are what last the longest.

The subject of eternal families has the power to elicit a strong emotional reaction from me, probably because I am all too keenly aware, especially in times like this, that my family has not been sealed in the temple. I suspect this may be part of the reason I have taken to family history and temple work with such zeal. Connecting the past generations of my family and providing them with that opportunity, in anticipation for the day when my family – both my present and future families – will join the chain, is a source of comfort. It makes me feel like I can do something to contribute. And perhaps it’s also one way I feel that I can show Heavenly Father how much this principle means to me. I wonder sometimes about the people who pray so fervently to find an eternal companion but then do so very little to show that they understand and value the principle and power of eternal families. More than anything I want to be an instrument in the Lord’s hands, and to be and do what He wants. But if I could have any two things for myself, they would be to see my present family in the temple, dressed in white, and to kneel across the alter of the temple with my own sweetheart. And as in all things, His will be done, not mine, but you can bet that I will do everything in my power to make both a reality. With that in mind, I actually recently decided that from now on I will be found in one of two places on Friday and Saturday nights: out, or at the temple.

Anyway, just some Sunday afternoon musings. I guess the gist of it all is that I love my family. As difficult and challenging as we can be at times, we do love each other, and we don’t say so nearly as often as we should. I’m not sure any of them will ever read this, but if they do ... I love you.


No comments: