A little over two years ago, Elder Bednar gave a CES devotional titled "Things As They Really Are." The title is a reference to a scripture found in Jacob: "The Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not. Wherefore, it speaketh of things as they really are, and of things as they really will be; wherefore, these things are manifested unto us plainly, for the salvation of our souls" (Jacob 4:13). In his talk, Elder Bednar addresses several key points of doctrine in regards to our physical bodies and physical reality and cites a number of ways in which we can be distracted from the "reality" of these truths. Last night I had a singularly fantastic conversation with a very good friend of mine, who, as Elders' Quorum president, has come to identify this detachment from reality as the root of so many of the problems he sees among his elders. I learned a lot over the course of our discussion, and hopefully I'll remember enough of it to highlight some of the key principles.
I love that Elder Bednar chose to introduce his topic of "things as they really are" by talking about the plan of salvation. The fact that he did so fits perfectly with my newfound understanding of what "reality" really is: it is understanding the present -- the here and now -- in the context of eternity. By framing his talk in the context of the plan of salvation, Elder Bednar helps us to see how our present reality fits into the eternal plan of our Heavenly Father. I think this idea builds on the concept of "real life" that I've often thought about since returning from my mission, namely that "real life" isn't the mundane, day to day, "back to reality" sort of activities that the adversary would have us believe it is. I think Satan is very anxious to have us believe that reality is something to be escaped, rather than embraced and enjoyed. That is because he knows that real life is, in essence, God's life. The reality -- the here and now in the context of eternity -- is that we have the divine potential and destiny to become like God. We do so through faith, repentance, obedience, keeping our covenants, and through love and service to others. That is "real life" and that is the reality that the adversary wants so badly to distract us from.
The sad truth is that very often he succeeds. How much precious time is wasted in vain pursuits: video games, online gaming, television, movies, facebook, youtube? How much time do I waste in vain pursuits? In and of themselves, most of these things are not inherently bad and, in moderation, I think are just fine. It's when they distract us from things that are more important and prevent us from truly living a "real life" that there's a problem. Elder Bednar said it beautifully: "Some young men and women in the Church today ignore 'things as they really are' and neglect eternal relationships for digital distractions, diversions, and detours that have no lasting value."
Last night I also gained insight into what it means to receive revelation through the Spirit. In the context of this discussion of reality, my friend made the point that revelation is understanding the reality of God. Very often we think of revelation as those light bulb moments (again, an Elder Bednar reference), as specific answers to specific questions. And it's true that sometimes we do receive specific answers and specific guidance. But I think revelation is much, much more than that. It is through the Spirit that we are able to know God. It is through the Spirit that we come the know and understand the mind and will of God, and with that knowledge and understanding we are able to make choices that align our will with His. Revelation, as my friend put it, is a clarity of perspective. And not just any perspective, but an eternal perspective, which is God's perspective. It is the perspective that allows us to see people and situations "as they really are" , ie, in the context of eternity (reality!). It's just like the scripture in Jacob says: "The Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not. Wherefore, it speaketh of things as they really are … " It's incredible how it all fits together so perfectly.
Keeping with this theme of reality and "real life", I also learned something about what it means to have real relationships. I've always had a very small group of what I would consider close friends. One, two, maybe three people outside of my family might fall into this category at any given time. I never feel like I'm lacking for friends or acquaintances, but there's just something different about these really close friends. These are the people I call when I'm having a bad day and just need to be with someone. These are the people that I can talk to about literally anything. There is no show, no pretense, no deceit, no secrets, no reason to be anyone but myself, because that is precisely who I know these friends want me to be. And what makes these friendships so remarkable, at least to me, is that they are completely two sided. I never feel like I'm putting forth effort that is unreciprocated, because everything I've just described is just as true of them as it is of me. As we were talking about this, my friend (who happens to be one of the few that falls into this category) remarked that these sorts of relationships are a type of the relationship that God has with Jesus Christ, in that they contain the same elements of trust, unity, oneness, reciprocity, etc.. That comment has changed the way that I look at my relationships with people -- friendship, dating, and otherwise. In my quest to live a more "real" life, I cannot and should not forget the importance and "reality" of my relationships with others; I need to consider those through the lens of eternity as well.
"How important, how enduring, and how timely is the Lord's definition of truth -- 'things as they really are.' The prophet Alma asked, 'O then, is not this real?' (Alma 32:35). He was speaking of light and good so discernible they can be tasted. Indeed, 'they who dwell in [the Father's] presence ... see as they are seen, and know as they are known, having received of his fulness and of his grace' (D&C 76:94).
3 comments:
I hope we can be your friends. I mean, we are your friends, but what I mean is, if you need to talk to us about the vicissitudes of life, we're there for you.
Thank you so much for this Mary! AMAZING to run into you the other day - that was a REAL blessing.
Uh...so how on earth did I not know you had a blog?!?!?! I am a bad big sister! Well, I've fixed that now at least! Oh and let's not be friends, let's be family instead :)
Post a Comment