This week my visiting teachers challenged me to improve my journal keeping. This is all well and good, except that I haven’t written in my actual pen and paper journal since March 22. Some would say trying to get caught up is a hopeless cause, and while they may be right, I’m going to try nonetheless; somehow, someday I’ll fill in the details of the past 6 months. And it’ll be awesome. In the meantime, however, I need someplace to write what’s going on in my life right now. These days my life seems to change on a nearly daily basis. I’m obviously learning a lot as part of my program (and rightfully so considering how much time I’m in the ESC!), but the more important lessons, those I’m learning through my experiences, my scripture study, the books I’m reading, my church and institute lessons, and, most importantly, through the Spirit. Scattered along my bookshelves and tucked away into my scriptures and notebooks are bits of paper with the thoughts and impressions I’ve had and the things I’ve learned, and I cringe to think what would happen if I lost those. This time of my life is too valuable not to be recorded.
That being said, I’ve decided to do something useful with my ever so small and humble plot of cyberspace: I’m going to keep a journal. Obviously there are things I can’t share, personal or sacred experiences that have no place on a public forum, but otherwise I see no reason not to share the things I’m learning; maybe they’ll be useful to someone else. Besides, I’m not even sure anyone reads this, so for all intents and purposes I might as well be writing to myself. But if I can at least maintain the illusion of writing for someone else, it may force me to write a little more coherently, which is never a bad thing. Plus it means I can honestly answer in the affirmative when my visiting teachers ask if I’ve been keeping up on my journal.
Anyway, I’d planned to write all about the fantastic things I realized at institute tonight, but I’m still trying to keep to this schedule of mine, so it’ll have to wait until some other time. But trust me, it’ll be good...when I get around to writing it.
1 comment:
Dearest Mary! I was so happy to see your comment on our (extraordinarily neglected) blog. And I'm so happy to hear that you're doing your MS in Physics! So happy for you that you're doing it and so happy for me that I'm NOT doing it. I am, however, getting my MBA, so I totally get the school-has-taken-over-my-life-and-I-might-as-well-move-to-the-business-building sentiment.
Anyway, I love you and very much hope to see you soon. :)
Post a Comment