Saturday, October 23, 2010

"Non posso dire la minima parte di quanto provo."


It's raining in Provo, but I don't really mind. I am 6000 miles away on a hilltop just outside Rome, where this morning President Thomas S. Monson broke ground for the Rome Italy temple. Before I left my mission, my mission president warned that when we left Italy a part of us would always be homesick. No matter where we were or who we were with, a part of us just belonged to Italy. And it's true. I know a part of every Italian missionary is in Rome right now. In my case, I think it's reasonable to say that, with the exception of my physical presence, all of me is in Italy right now.

Two years ago President Monson announced the Rome temple in General Conference; I have not seen a reaction before or since to match the one which followed that announcement. An audible gasp from the conference center. Within moments I was getting phone calls and texts from friends and former missionaries, both in the States and in Italy. E-mails, facebook messages, and, at least for my part, a lot of tears and prayers of joy and gratitude. At the time, my only wish was that I could have been in Italy when the announcement came, so that I could have shouted and hugged and kissed and celebrated the way only we Italians can do. Yeah, we Italians.

I wish I could have been there today, but I celebrated the occasion in my own way. I woke up early and went to the temple this morning. How could I not? It's so easy here. Hop in the car and drive a few blocks and you're there. I worry sometimes that I might take for granted that it's so easy, but then I remember what it was like to pray -- to plead -- every day for a year and half for a temple in Italy. I remember what it was like to work day in and day out to make that a reality. I remember what it was like to wake up early and drive long hours to go to the temple as a youth group, and I remember what it was like to do that before I was baptized (at age fifteen) and could only stand outside and touch the temple walls. And it was all worth it.

My testimony of the temple is very real and very much alive. It doesn't matter if it takes five minutes, five hours, or five days to get there, it is worth it. No sacrifice of time, means, or habit is too great. It is worth it. And as for the temple in Italy, all I can do now is expectantly wait for it's completion and dedication. Believe me when I say there is nothing that's going to get in the way of me being there in heart, mind, spirit, and body.

1 comment:

becks said...

Mary, thank you for this post :) I knew you had written about Rome so I had to go back and read it again in light of things! Let's talk soon.